About the Inn
Built in 1924 by John Sprunt Hill - distinguished alumnus, successful businessman and University trustee - the Inn's original concept was "to provide for the special wants and comforts of the University alumni... and University visitors". In 1935, Hill donated the Inn to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with the stipulation that after meeting expenses, profits from the Inn were to be used for "the maintenance and support of the University library, and especially for the support of the collection of books and papers known as the North Carolina Collection". Mr. Hill's wishes are still carried out today as the Inn returns its profits to the University to support the University library.
The Inn is a beautiful and well-known icon on the UNC campus in downtown Chapel Hill that architecturally represents both the colonial and antebellum South. The 1924 design incorporates late 18th century elements from George Washington's Mount Vernon, particularly the two-story portico and cupola on the original Cameron Avenue façade, and early 19th elements from Richland, a plantation house in Louisiana. The Richland elements include the familiar hipped-gable brick end walls with integral flat double chimneys above a central demi-lune window.
The hotel has undergone five major renovations since 1924 (including three major additions), and a sixth is now underway. Renovation work since 1995 has sought to return the Inn to its original grandeur and traditional warmth, while offering guests the most up-to-date services and amenities.
Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and a member of the prestigious National Trust's Historic Hotels of America, The Carolina Inn offers an atmosphere of elegance and the spirit of tradition. Furnished with antiques, North Carolina made furniture, interesting artwork and historical images, this hotel on the UNC campus has offered guests the finest lodging, fine dining, and excellent hospitality for more than eight decades.
The Carolina Inn welcomes you through its historic doors and invites you to share in its rich traditions and four-diamond service for years to come.