10th Annual Gingerbread House Competition
Who Can Enter
The competition is open to everyone, professionals and amateurs alike, except employees of The Carolina Inn and their immediate family and/or household members. The contest includes a separate adult and youth category. Entries are accepted from individuals or groups of up to 5 members.
How to Enter
Submit online forms by Friday, November 16th 2012
Part of the proceeds raised during this year's Gingerbread House Competition will be donated to TABLE.
Adults 15 and Up $30
Children 14 and Under $15
- To be eligible for the competition, a signed and completed entry form must be received by 5 PM Friday, November 16th 2012. Entries that are not pre-registered will not be accepted. Only one entry per entry form is permitted.
- The 2012 Gingerbread House Competition Entry Form must be signed by the individual entering the competition. If the individual is younger than age eighteen by the date of the competition, a signature from a parent or legal guardian is required along with the minor's signature.
- Entry numbers will be assigned upon receipt of completed entry forms, and competitors will receive an email with an entry number confirming their entry into the 2012 competition.
- Team entries are allowed under the following guidelines:
- Complete one entry form for the team that only includes the team captain's contact information. In the case of school groups or girls or boys scout troops entering the competition, the classroom teacher or troop supervisor should be listed as the team captain and provide his or her contact information.
- A separate typed list of each team members' first and last names, along with ages, should be included with the team's entry form.
- A signature from a parent or legal guardian will be required for each team member under eighteen years of age.
- In the event a Team Entry places in the competition, the team captain will be the recipient of any prizes. Distribution or splitting of any prize will be left to the team captain to determine.
- A Team should consist of two to five individuals working on a single entry. No more than five individuals are allowed to work on a single entry.
Due to limited display space, we can only accept 20 entries; 10 Adult and 10 Youth by order received. Only one entry is allowed per household.
In the event you are no longer able to compete in our Gingerbread House Competition, please call our Twelve Days of Christmas concierge at 919.918.2715.
Adult 15 and Up
Youth 14 and Under
Teen and Child competitors may be supervised while baking, for safety precautions, by a parent or guardian. However, all gingerbread house construction, design and decoration must be done by the individual(s) entering the competition.
Competitors are not limited to the structure of a house. We welcome and encourage competitors to uniquely design their entry for this years' competition, as long as the entry is in keeping with the competition Rules & Procedures.
Entries will be judged by our Pastry Chef Sara Thomas. The entry with the highest number of points in its category will be the winner. Entries will be judged on each of the following criteria on a scale of 1-5: Overall Appearance, Originality & Creativity, Difficulty, Precision, and Consistency of Theme (theme should be competitor's own and consistent throughout entry). Winners will be announced on Monday, December 21st 2012 and will be posted at www.12daysevents.com as well as on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Entries must not exceed 1.5 feet in height, 1.5 feet in width, or 1.5 feet in depth, including the board used as a base. We suggest using ½” or ¾” plywood as a base for your entry.
- Write your name, entry number, address, phone number and email on the underside of your base.
- Entries must be made primarily of gingerbread and entirely of edible products (except for the base). Candies must be unwrapped. Edible materials are not limited to sweets.
- No artificial display materials, such as Styrofoam or interior lighting, are to be used in the construction of the house.
Dropping Off Your Entry
- Entries accepted Friday, November 30th, between 9 AM and 12 PM. Entries that are not pre-registered will not be accepted.
- Please check-in with our front desk agents the day of delivery and ask for Melissa Sayre.
- The competitor's name, entry number, address, phone number and email must be labeled underneath the base.
We reserve the right to refuse any entries deemed inappropriate for display at the hotel.
Picking Up Your Entry
- Entries will remain on display at The Carolina Inn starting Saturday, December 1st through Wednesday, January 2nd 2013.
- Entries may be picked up Thursday, January 3rd 2013 between 9 AM and 12 PM.
- Entries will be discarded on Thursday, January 3rd 2013 at 5 PM. No exceptions.
Adult First Place: $100 Southpoint Mall Gift Certificate
Adult Second Place: Dinner for Four at Carolina Crossroads Restaurant and Bar
Youth First Place: $100 Southpoint Mall Gift Certificate
Youth Second Place: $50 Southpoint Mall Gift Certificate
How to Enter
Deadline for entry forms is 5 PM Friday, November 16th 2012
Due to limited display space, we can only accept 20 entries (10 Adult and 10 Youth), by order received.