Keep Up to Date with The Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill
The Carolina Inn Earns TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold Recognition
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (April 2013) – The Carolina Inn has been awarded the coveted Gold Status as part of the new TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders™ program, which helps travelers plan greener trips by identifying environmentally-friendly accommodations across the U.S.
TripAdvisor GreenLeaders have met a set of environmental standards developed for TripAdvisor by a leading environmental consulting firm, with input from expert partners. The more green practices a hotel has in place, the higher its GreenLeader level, which is shown on the property’s listing on the TripAdvisor site. Travelers can now search for accommodations that have a GreenLeaders status on the TripAdvisor site, and view a detailed list of environmentally-friendly practices that they can expect at each location. GreenLeader properties are eligible for one of the four badge levels: bronze, silver, gold and platinum. Badge levels are determined by a property’s overall level of participation in environmentally friendly activities.
“TripAdvisor GreenLeaders are leading the hospitality industry in making efforts to improve their environmental footprint,” said Jenny Rushmore, director of responsible travel at TripAdvisor. “We greatly applaud these accommodations (like The Carolina Inn) and are pleased to share their eco-friendly practices with our online audience of more than 200 million travelers.”
The Carolina Inn embraces the need to preserve the environment and is committed to reducing its impact on the Earth’s natural resources while maintaining a superior guest experience. Upon recent completion of its guestroom renovation, the Inn’s sustainability and efficiency are greatly improved, while still maintaining the historical charm and elegance for which The Carolina Inn is known.
The historic hotel implemented more than 100 environmental initiatives since the inception of the Destination Earth program in January 2008. The eco-friendly program elements include decreasing energy and water usage, reducing waste, increasing recycling and composting, and purchasing local and organic food and beverages when possible.
It is the hotel’s firm belief that everyone benefits from sustainable business practices, and the staff takes pride in all of its efforts to preserve and protect the environment.
Below is a sample of some of the environmental initiatives the Inn has already undertaken, as well as some developments it has underway, all aimed at improving the Inn’s sustainability and efficiency today and well into the future.
• Energy-efficient light bulbs wherever possible
• Low VOC paint to improve indoor environmental air quality
• Wool corridor carpet, produced under strict environmentally-conscious guidelines and fully recyclable
• Luxurious bathmats made from bamboo yarns
• 100% organic cotton bed linen
• Natural and organic bathroom amenities in containers produced from post-consumer recycled materials
• Partially-used guest amenities donated to “Clean the World” which distributes recycled soap to impoverished countries
• Environmentally-sound cleaning products
• Linen and terry reuse program to minimize consumption of water and chemicals
• Cotton terry towels stocked in public restrooms in place of disposable paper products
• A laundry ozone system to reduce energy and chemical consumption
• Food and beverage menus guided by principles of sustainability, incorporating local and regional produce and perishable goods
• Extensive composting program that reduces our waste by four tons every month and returns usable material to the earth
• Complimentary daily newspapers in our lobby eliminate the need to discard the many unused newspapers that used to be in front of every door
• Property-wide recycling program, including guest rooms, of all recyclable material
• Dual flush toilets in all public restrooms to conserve water
Its newly renovated guestrooms have extra features that further expand the Inn’s efforts to be responsible and conscientious of its impact on the environment.
• Many pieces of guestroom furniture were constructed from raw materials managed through the Sustainable Forestry Initiative
• Guestroom fabrics treated with an environmentally friendly stain treatment that is recyclable and has MBDC environmental certification
• Guestroom pillows and upholstery filled with soy-based polyfoam
• Mattresses made from bamboo fibers and soy products and are 99% recyclable
• Mattresses manufactured by Kingsdown in North Carolina, reducing carbon emissions during delivery
• Guestroom carpet made from 25% post-consumer recycled materials and produced under strict environmental guidelines; the entire carpet is fully recyclable
• Dual-flush guestroom toilets to conserve water
About The Carolina Inn
Built on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill in 1924 by John Sprunt Hill – distinguished alumnus, successful businessman and University trustee – The Carolina Inn’s original concept was “to provide for the special wants and comforts of the University alumni...and University visitors.” The historical Carolina Inn features 185 charming and well-appointed guestrooms including 7 luxury suites. www.CarolinaInn.com
About Destination Hotels & Resorts
Destination Hotels & Resorts is a privately held hospitality management company headquartered in Colorado. With 40 independent, luxury and upscale hotels, resorts and golf clubs, Destination is the fourth largest hospitality management company in the country. The company’s portfolio features more than 9,200 guest rooms, 18 golf courses and 16 full-service spas. Destination Hotels & Resorts properties are located in key metropolitan and resort markets including Washington, D.C., Chicago, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Santa Fe, Aspen, Austin, Phoenix, Portland, Palm Springs, Palos Verdes, Maui and Lake Tahoe. The company is a subsidiary of Los Angeles-based investment, development and management firm Lowe Enterprises. For a complete list of properties in the Destination Hotels & Resorts collection, please visit www.DestinationHotels.com.
Director of Marketing and Public Relations